- CP photo: Jared Wickerham
- Members of the boys and girls junior Three Rivers Rowing Association teams practice on the Allegheny River.
We know how overwhelming it can be moving to a new city, so we're here to help. Click through the stories below and learn how to talk like a local, navigate your way around town, and take a tour of some of our favorite places in the city.
• Pittsburghese Dictionary: How to translate the Yinzer vocabulary
• Newcomer Transit Guide: Tips for getting around Pittsburgh on public transit, bicycle, car, or foot
• Tour Pittsburgh: Take a guided tour of Pittsburgh by land or river
• PGH FAQ: The important things newcomers need to know
It would be impossible for us to give you a comprehensive list of all of Pittsburgh's neighborhoods in this guide. That's because there are 90 of them and they all offer visitors something unique. For this guide, we're highlighting ten neighborhoods that you're most likely to hear about when first arriving in Pittsburgh. In the stories below, you'll find some of our favorite restaurants, bars, shops, and entertainment venues in the city. You'll also find websites we recommend bookmarking so you can take a deeper dive. It's a good start to get you acquainted with locals and lots of things that make our city special.
• The Newcomers Guide to Bloomfield-Garfield
• The Newcomers Guide to Downtown Pittsburgh
• The Newcomers Guide to East Liberty
• The Newcomers Guide to Lawrenceville
• The Newcomers Guide to North Side
• The Newcomers Guide to Oakland
• The Newcomers Guide to Shadyside
• The Newcomers Guide to South Side
• The Newcomers Guide to Squirrel Hill
• The Newcomers Guide to the Strip District
When you're comfortable, venture out to the neighborhoods we didn't get a chance to cover here, like Polish Hill, Wilkinsburg, Beechview, and Mount Washington. (Aahhhh! Too many to name!) Keep track of them all year round by picking up a Pittsburgh City Paper every Wednesday (it's always free). And come back here at pghcitypaper.com for new content every day to learn more about this beautiful city we're proud to call home.